I'm sorry, but what do you mean that "The concerns/issues with AllWinner have been resolved." ? As far as I know, the AllWinner company is still violating the GPL... A couple weeks/months ago they pretended to release new source code but it had (again) binary blobs inside. If I am wrong, please correct me, I would love to get more (good) news on this matter :)

As for the machine you described, yes it is surely the conclusion I have came too. Using AllWinner boards gives us the chance to have a free bootloader, have experimental video acceleration (vdpau), and use free software only (with Replicant being ported to it as we speak, which could prove to be a game changer). Is it a good machine? Well, that depends. Most people won't like the experience. But for me, some basic browsing, some videos, reading a lot, playing around with scripts and such... It could be a nice machine. Especially for the low price they have these days. But for most people it's too weak a machine.

Even so, if you ever decide to do something similar to the Pitop project, let us know, I would love to get such a laptop :)