First, thanks for pointing us to these articles and social media post. I find it very interesting to read the views of people working on this stuff (the people most knowledgeable on the details of the implementation). And thanks for assembling the computers and selling them to us all with free software throughout.

I concur with another poster criticizing the use of "open source" in these articles as that movement would never pursue software freedom. As much as I think it's good to bring news of the issues underlying this discussion to the masses (just as all sorts of laptops are sold to ordinary computer users), it is worth noting that both IDGConnect.com and PCWorld.com's articles get this important information wrong -- the latter referring to "ideologically pure" laptop development without explaining what the salient ideology is, nor telling readers that the open source movement's ideology is quite radically different from the free software movement's ideology. After all, these two ideologies reach radically different results: It's not the OSI or any other "open source" group that put together the Respects Your Freedom campaign.

I figure that the lack of explication on this point is also why these organizations don't give GNU a share of the credit for GNU/Linux (instead calling an operating system "Linux" when that's really a kernel). Really, they are siding with "open source" because that movement's ideology is compatible with proprietary software (which is what they report on most of the time they report on software). They certainly aren't going to mount a full-throated and widely-repeated defense of software freedom; that would get in the way of their full-throated and widely-repeated defense of user subjugation via proprietary software.

ch...@thinkpenguin.com wrote:
While that is true, it's misleading, in that it's not any better
than what we've already got from a free software stand point.

I concur; if all I wanted was a laptop to run free software on and I was okay with hardware I could never fully control, inspect, or reprogram (nor hire anyone to do this on my behalf), a Librem laptop would be no better (certainly not better enough to justify its price and crowdfunding-based payment).

But this leads me to wonder: Is there an architecture on which one could have a laptop (complete with the physical camera/mic switch) that used some CPU, BIOS, and other hardware that would simultaneously make good on the freedom promises Librem can't deliver while offering modern laptop niceties (such as a high ceiling on RAM, 15" or larger LCD monitor, SSD, gigabit ethernet jack, and USB3) in order to compare reasonably well with modern 64-bit Intel-compatible laptops?

Nothing in the FSF's RYF hardware certification requirements (http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/criteria) requires Intel-compatibility.

If so, perhaps that is a laptop worth investing time and money in. I won't buy a Librem given the freedom problem they face, but I view Todd Weaver's leadership as a detail; I'm judging this on the specs of what is delivered to the end-user.