I don't know about making it impossible to use unsigned extensions without recompiling as a security feature, but it could be that Mozilla really just doesn't want people to see browsers being slowed down by malware extensions due to users' stupid decisions, being called "Firefox". If that's the case, it makes perfect sense.

In any case, given that the feature can be easily disabled and Mozilla even offers an official unbranded version with it disabled, I don't think Mozilla is doing anything wrong here.