People will never agree as they are stubborn and will protect their ego. If there is a disagreement, they will create their own community. After time, there is conflict within the new community and members leave to start yet another.

There may never be a solution to this. That's why companies like Canonical decided to do their own thing with Mir. They were never going to get what they wanted with Wayland and the other Wayland devs wouldn't play nice with Canonical.

Free software allows you the right to create a derivative work and I would never deny someone that right. I just think that if less people did it and swallowed their pride for.the greater good of a project, that we would have better quality free software code.