1 - wingobs **is** malware. Yes, backdoors and security threats are quite real. Depends how much of an interesting target you are for an attacker. Spyware and adware are the most common form of malware (they are everywhere on the average joe computers..) but they are fortunately tied to proprietary software, not the free software.

2 - I wouldn't trust a private company for my computing and in fact I don't. I trust only community developed OSes or OSi whatever that writes..

3 - Virtualization. Yes.

4 - Download ISO and dd if of the USB stick and see if the live runs well. wifi bloody wifi.

5 - My partition schema

/ 2 gb
/usr 7 gb
/var 3 gb
swap as ram (I actually set it to half ram that is 2 gb)
/tmp 3 gb
/home all the rest

6 - Tweaking your desktop is easy. You say you used Elementary. I like very much its style so I made Xfce look like it. I posted here about it (instructions included) -> https://trisquel.info/en/forum/share-your-desktop?page=5#comment-76929

7 - I plan to buy one. I don't have one yet but as far as I know X200 from minifree is an excellent lappy and it's very portable and lightweight.

Welcome to the community!