> Chris, the overall problem in all of this is still that you are selling
> the very kinds of systems that you are so critical of in public.

That's an utterly misleading statement. Your clearly referring to the Librem and I'm critical of it not because it's any more or less freedom friendly than our systems. I'm critical of the guy behind it's claims that it is/was 100% free or would be or could be in the near future.

However we knew that couldn't happen. He originally designed it with *NVIDIA* chips without a good reason to do so for we all know are dependent on a non-free NVIDIA driver. Earlier versions of the chip didn't even work with the free nouveau driver.

ThinkPenguin *HAD* the best systems for years. We're only slightly behind. However even if we release an ARM based laptop/desktop it won't matter for the majority of people out there. It won't be a good option for helping these people move off of non-free software. To that I say I'm not going to stop encouraging people to move away from non-free software just because some people are more abled and determined to get away.

Anybody who says they won't use any non-free software is a hypocrite. Until recently all systems were dependent on a non-free BIOS and/or other pieces and even still there are non-free pieces hiding in our devices including Mini free's.

The person *most* opposed to non-free software in the entire universe is even using some non-free pieces. We're all just doing our best to avoid as many of those non-free pieces as is humanly possible- short of abandoning any technology altogether.

> You
> tell people that we need to move to fully free systems, and criticize
> the libreboot project for being a "dead end" focusing on certain
> hardware that you identify to be a non-solution freedom-wise,

I never said it was a non-solution I said it was a dead end going forward. Which it is when you can't load it onto any modern X86 system because of digital locks that prevent it. The only solution is to move away from Intel and at that point you don't need libreboot.

> all while
> you are selling systems on ThinkPenguin that have *proprietary BIOS*.

Yes- and that doesn't change anything. We're still working torward systems more free hardware. Your systems aren't 100% free either. You even stated here that the ARM systems will be more free than the Lenovo's your currently selling! And even after all this the ARM systems aren't perfect either.

Trying to make it out as if I'm some sort of hypocrite is ridicules. I'm no more a hypocrite than anybody else in the movement. I don't care if you talk about Richard Stallman, Rubén Rodríguez, Jason, myself, Bob, you, or any other person. We're all using some non-free software. I don't argue it's somehow 'right' to use this software, but short of getting off these forums your as much a hypocrite as I am.

> If I were in your position, I would not be selling those laptops and
> desktops that you sell. You are saying that the money raised helps fund
> future work on free hardware, but at the same time you're also selling
> systems to people that do not adequately respect their freedom, while
> preaching to people who do supply such systems for being "imperfect".
>
> This is why you're a hypocrite.

First off we were selling systems that were as free as it got long before you were even around. It's hardly hypocritical to suggest we should just stop because your here now. Your not in a position to keep anything going. We are very close on the other hand.

2nd the people we are primarily selling to are on *proprietary systems* and anything that we sell them even if our systems were more proprietary than then they are now would still be *more free* than they would otherwise have been. It's still a net benefit.

Life isn't black and white as your trying to make it out to be. We're just doing the best we can with what we have to work with.

> With this in mind, it's wrong of you to criticize libreboot for a mistake that it no longer makes.

*YOU JUST FIXED IT*

You claim we're making mistakes and yet you yourself are making the same mistakes. I on the other hand don't agree that the mistakes we are making are the same or even mistakes. The difference is one is targeted at people who are technical, capable, understand, etc free software and aren't going to revert to a proprietary OS because they don't understand that there are less difficult choices if things don't work. I'd never try and sell Debian or Fedora to someone who is already on a 100% free OS. However if someone is on a proprietary OS I'm going to try and help them get onto something that is a realistic more free option even if it is less than perfect. The majority of people here came to Trisquel and free software from such operating systems. Chances are they wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for the fact they were presented with a distribution that worked that they could first try before taking the time and effort to move to something that was more free. And again- none of us here are on 100% free computers. We're just on more free systems than most people out there.