The problem is not that they have done it already, the problem is that they COULD do it if they wanted.
I don't like sleeping with that uncertainty.
If you know what I mean.

As for the basis of why I think this way:

http://hemingway.softwarelivre.org/fisl16/high/40t/sala_40t-high-201507111600.ogv (best reference I have seen in this matter, clearly illustrates the idea) Several talks by Jacob Appelbaum, he mentions the dangers of any piece of proprietary code running inside your machine. I think I saw a Replicant video some months ago that also mentioned the dangers of any firmware running inside your machine. Can't find it now though.

Look, my laptop doesn't even support Coreboot, so I am not saying that I am in a better position. I am just saying that I would like to be in a better position! And I don't feel that the "RYF Award" actually puts me in that better position. Brings me close, but it is not enough.