Chrome (non-free) and Netflix (non-free, DRMs, centralization of the Net, nasty influence on the HTML standard, etc.) are indeed bad.

You can use Iridium instead of Chrome (same base): https://iridiumbrowser.de

You can use P2P file sharing networks to get movies.

The screen lock can be inhibited from "Brightness & Lock" in the "System settings"... of Trisquel GNOME edition. I have no idea how to do that in Trisquel Mini.

To know about the permissions you have on a file, you can right click on it and see its "Properties". If you have write permissions on the file, you can change those permissions to (what lembas suggested you to do with 'chmod' in a terminal).

If you do not have write permissions on the file, then you really need to run something with administrative privileges. Using 'sudo' if you run a command in the terminal; 'gksu' if you run a graphical application. For instance, to get a PCMan file manager (Trisquel's mini default) where you are allowed to do anything (including removing system files!):
$ gksu pcmanfm

At least, I believe the command is 'pcmanfm'. If the terminal replies "Command not found", try 'gksu pcman'.