Many thanks for the Rockbox ideas,
I'll have my own alarm-clock ready in no time (I have an old device which is supported) !

For emergency, I mostly agree with you, except that when out, you need to rely on others. Calling the police when witnessing an agression, I wonder how many people do so under pressure
(I'm not even talking about direct assistance).
Counting on public phones is random at best (how Superman would do his thing these days?).
OTOH, Never had to use mine for such an emergency.

Reminders on the laptop, why not, but it needs to be on, and if you have to move often, it's not the most practical.
But I see it's perfect for your professional lifestyle.

Thanks again for the Rockbox ideas, cheers !