I personally can use a different browser without too much troubles since I'm starting to know my way around the OS. It's about the average users, not me: there's no way this type of users would fix it by themselves.

About Tor, well then between April 26 (last v38 update) and And May 30, it's roughly a month between upgrades. I'm seeing now that it's roughly the same amount of time for IceCat (see below).

A lack of time makes no sense. If so, Ruben wouldn't be regularly upgrading IceCat's script.
Here's the link again: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuzilla.git
And this is the latest commit regarding version upgrade: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuzilla.git/commit/?id=dfca19be2da9a7043894995d4dafaca201acd329
End of life of this version is actually june 7.
Compared to TorBB, for now this makes IceCat AS SAFE AS IT GETS.
So IceCat is cleared, even if the problem is the same for Abrowser (anything beyond v44).