You posted a link saying that TorBB went to version 45 on May 30 (at least the article is on that date). And version 45 came out on March 8, according to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox_release_history#Firefox_45_ESR).
That's roughly 3 months.

June 7 is the EOL of version 38.8.0 according to the link above.
Today is June 29. For now that doesn't yet make a month (Of course it's still about 5 months for Abrowser).

The interesting difference is that TorBB never EVER went into a state of zero support.
Bottom line is, you're right. As much as I want to see Trisquel 8 happen,
it's really a wasted effort without the browsers updates. It makes no sense to me.