Ubuntu is based off Debian testing. It is a true 'fork' that is updated every 6 months, as opposed to Trisquel's deblobbing effort of Ubuntu. There's no point basing directly off testing/unstable as they constantly change as new packages are added and library versions often change. To this extent, it would not be stable (i.e. package updates are unpredictable) although it still probably be fine for daily use. Stable is very good so that is the way to go. I definitely agree about waiting to next release though.

> oh and I prefer an option to have an admin password and to have my username not appear on the screen automatically and that hibernate is actually an option...

Firstly you can add a root account by running "sudo passwd root". Not in the graphical installer, true, but it can easily be done. Secondly if you install lightdm-gtk-greeter (default in lightdm, in non-GNOME Debian) and switch the greeter to that in the configuration files then you get what I think you are probably referring to.

These are minor things though. Personally I see using Debian as simpler due to saving development time more than anything. I also found more problems in Ubuntu. But this is personal problems that hardly ever appear for the vast majority of users.