I don't think the reason that free hardware was unsuccessful in the past was because of a lack of standards. I think it was due to lack of demand for free hardware from the mainstream. There's a reason that Intel is so popular, and that is because it can run Windows and has been around for decades. Similarly I would argue that the Beaglebone Black (which *is* free hardware) is successful because it has been widely adopted by hackers and developers for electronics prototyping, and because it has good support. The BBB has demand from people other than free software enthusiasts, which gives it more appeal. For the Computer Card to be successful I think it will have to appeal in this way. Now, I totally support the EOMA standard, especially because it plans for the future and compatibility on the way to solve electronics waste. I think it will be great for allowing upstream projects (*especially* the Linux kernel) to target it.