Yea- I wasn't trying to say that there were no free software devices before this. That would be utterly wrong. They weren't designed to be free maybe, but I wasn't even trying to say that. The Beagle Bone Black is a bit less complicated than a laptop, tablet, or cellular device and of these types of devices freedom hasn't really ever been a high priority for any prior successful project for which was designed from the ground up. And when I say success I mean we can see people beyond RMS and a few hackers in the community with said devices. I'd put single board computers like the BBB, Banana Pi, and Cubie Board in a similar category with routers, wifi adapters, and similar. A laptop on the other hand has multiple different components that are problematic [and actually probably more recent single board computers]. The same is true for tablets and cell phones.

There is a difference between a device that was designed with freedom in mind and a device that is freed later too. With EOMA68 we can work toward designing devices that are free from the start as opposed to having to start with a design that isn't free and work toward making it freer. None of this means that a device designed from the ground up to be free will be free, but it'll at least be as free as is possible within the realm of which it can be achieved given the conditions of the day. So for example if we have control over the computer cards we can choose to utilize a SOC that we can get the maximum level of source code for and then utilize that in computers/housings.

For example. While we could focus on free'ing a chromebook it would make more sense to design a chromebook-like device around EOMA68 such that we don't need to utilize the 802.11ac wifi chips or graphics components. We may still need to free an 802.11ac wifi chip long term, but it's not going to hold us back in the mean time from having faster modern computing devices.

And certainly it is true that the EOMA68 project would not have succeeded had we targeted just free software enthusiasts. All of this was factored into the equation. Fortunately very successfully.