I have a very specific, but possibly completely wrong idea of the way I want to use this server.

(I think) I get the basic idea of a server, but this is a special case. Most services would be useless if the server isn't on at all times.

I'm thinking of a way to keep my data on my machine, and still be able to connect to, say, Diaspora whenever I want to. That means I'd be the only person on the server for this specific case, so in theory I would have no need for it to be always on.

And if this is possible, it would be great if installing diaspora also installed a small "one user server" for that purpose only.