That would probably be dissuasive, since "lurking" is one of those popular guilty pleasures.

On the other hand, since my page would be automatically active when my machine is on (meaning others pages would be on only when someone with the same system is connected), how would I feel about it?

Well first it only reveals that the computer is on, not that I'm available.
Also, no more of those awkward dead people pages.
The problem is that there can't be no delayed communication: when my page is off, no one can write something to me for a later time. It strictly becomes a live medium.

Oh well, not such a great idea, after all.