The forum software works, but my main concern (apart threads being locked after some time) is the access to knowledge. It's all wiki-focused, which is both good and bad. I never ever think of looking for something in there. I just use the search feature. So I thought a few links in the signature, even linking to the wiki, would make a more visible help for some frequently asked subjects. But to get there, I need to spend (waste?) time learning about mailing lists, which I don't care about. It's the first time in my life I've seen such a basic feature missing. It's only one small feature, but those little things add up over time.

So it works, but it's more like "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" kind of thing. Well, Trisquel is a bit like that as well (Abrowser has a weird diagonal since the update, and vimfx doesn't work anymore, and so on), because it takes a lot of time, which Ruben doesn't have. I understand, but it's frustrating, specially as the flagship for free-software. Hence me calling the forum software archaic, and trisquel being ok, but often late on security, and sometimes lacking the polish needed to not get in the user's way. But to be fair, it's an overall frustration with some GNU/Linux programs that are unreliable (I'm speaking of my love/hate relationship with Jitsi), but thankfully, most programs are both awesome, and nearly rock solid.

But again, I know it's hard work and that it demands a lot of time.

Anyway, all this is in reaction of someone downvoting my pretty neutral first thread (and changed his/her mind on the way, which means ther is hope). But no worries with the downvote thing, I'm just saying that it's a lazy and unclear way to communicate. And it's exactly what you're saying, it's supposed to signal spam etc.
Hell, even I overuse it to upvote feature sometimes.