I decided to try Flidas on my laptop which is an HP Pavilion 15p-N066us.

It originally came with something like Winsnows 8 and I had it set up to dual boot with Debian for a while.

I guess it has a hidden partition called EFI and wants to boot from there and grub was installed elsewhere so I had to go through a few extra steps to boot up Debian on the Laptop.

Power ON - enter Administrator password
hit
then F2 to see settings options,
then F9 to see boot selection and
then arrow down from the EFI partition to boot from 'notebook hard drive'
then 'enter' and
the grub menu would appear

So I just lived with it like that for a year or so. I couldn't find any setting in the BIOS to stop it from requiring the EFI boot by default.

Then I ended by um, a mistake, giving the whole hard drive to OpenBSD. In my focus on how the heck to get a GUI and other configurations done, I don't remember ever noticing that the above steps had gone away. Now it was simply,

Power ON - enter Administrator password
wait till boot up done and
enter username and
password
and type
startx

Now I install Flidas and it seems to require two attempts to boot to Trisquel.

Power ON - enter Administrator password
wait or do the above steps - F2 - F9 etc
screen goes black and nothing seems to happen
Hit 'ctl' + 'alt' + 'del' to reboot
Enter Administrator password
wait
See grub menu and hit enter - Trisquel is the only thing there.

Anybody have any ideas how I might fix this?
At least, it does get there.