Using gParted I only see an extended partition with three logical partitions for OSes, 1 encrypted partition for /home and 1 swap partition - No fat32 or any thing else.

I could only use the graphical install program and it never asked where to install grub.

As to the BIOS - EFI boot option or secure boot. I looked and looked to see how I could get Debian to boot by default and there seemed to be no way to do that, disabling EFI or making it secondary was not an option.

Unfortunately, I only sort of remember my BIOS password and that isn't good enough. So I can't check for a secure boot option at this moment but this notebook actually came with something like Windows 7.8 and it appears secure boot came out as an update for notebooks running 8.

My guess is I'll have to remove ROM battery to reset BIOS password.