Part 1: I could convert to your opinion if you can find one hairdresser who affirms that her business is harmed because she cannot modify the music she plays in her salon (or who modifies free music to specifically please her clients). If you cannot, here is the fundamental difference between the music and the scheduling program, which may have a bug the hair dresser wants fixed, maybe a missing feature to handle the specifics of her business, maybe malware, etc. Only artists wants to modify the artistic works. It is not about defining "classes of people": the hairdresser may be a music artist too. But she is not acting as a music artist when she is running her haircutting business.

Part 2: I do not get your point. Artists who would take advantage of a five-year monopoly (on commercial exploitation and/or modification) do not withdraw any money from those who choose not to accept such an advantage... which is is not such an advantage today because the money paid for culture (e.g., the tax the hairdresser pays today to play music in her salon) do not go to artists unless they are superstars. But that is a separate issue.

I agree that high-quality artistic works can be, or even often are, derivatives. That is why copyright should never go in the way of creating original works (its objective!), including mash-ups or remixes, even if they reuse works published today. That is also why it is bad to have a never-ending copyright, basically the current situation in some countries (such as the USA and their Mickey Mouse Protection Act). But I do not see any emergency in letting anybody do small variations of existing works, or, more commonly, reuse the work unaltered in a commercial way. Is it that bad for society to have those possibilities delayed by five years? Again, I do not think such a monopoly harms the freedoms of the readers/listeners/spectators/hairdresser, contrary to the freedoms of the users of a functional work. In other words, I consider developers of proprietary software evil but I do not consider an artist is evil if she take advantage of a five-year monopoly (on commercial exploitation and/or modification) on its work, after its publication.

Your "Mimi and Eunice" example has nothing to do with copyright. A third author drawing new episodes could raise a trademark issue (if Nina Paley would manage to get a trademark on her characters) or a patent issue (if patents on Arts would be allowed, what would be a terrible idea) but these are completely different topics.