Oh, thanks. At least I won't be surprised anymore.

Unfortunately it's a blogger page that demands javascript, but it's still the best info I could get on (memdisk):
https://lukeluo.blogspot.nl/2013/06/grub-how-to-4-memdisk-and-loopback.html

Some highlights:
the memdisk is attached to a device called "(memdisk)" in grub.
-
-c, --config=FILE
              embed FILE as an early config
       -m, --memdisk=FILE
              embed FILE as a memdisk image

So, two files will be embedded into generated image, an early config file and a memdisk file.
-
 $ cat embedded.cfg
echo "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! embedded config file in core.img !!!!!!!!!!!!"
sleep -i 6
set root=memdisk
set prefix=($root)/boot/grub
-
there is a "(memdisk)" as we expect, where our file reside. We can load the "hello" module from memdisk, just like any other disk, then execute the "hello" command.

So according to this, any path linking to (memdisk) should link to inside the cbfs. The difference with (cbfsdisk) might be that memdisk loads in in a specific way.

OK next is trial and error:
1. make coreboot with an externally compiled GRUB, and add into the rom the grub.cfg, the font, and an externally compiled SeaBIOS.

2. Since I can't seem to find the lvm part to decrypt, I'll reinstall the OS, but I'll try a single volumegroup over several HDD/SSD. But then I might lose the possibility to assign a logical volume to a specific physical drive (easier to reinstall parts without toucheing other parts?).
This is the tough part now.

3. Assuming I can boot, try another coreboot build for the 6 core CPU, and hope for the best. Else, it's still a bit better (maybe much more with the GPU) than the X200.

4. Mastering the fans, so I can get the lowest possible noise without damaging components. I might get an external controller.

5. Enjoy!