Never had this error (yet... ). But I know I have the first line of grub.cfg (I took mine from Libreboot, and modified it a bit) about setting some prefix.
It says "set prefix=(memdisk)/boot/grub"

I can't precisely figure out where (memdisk) is though (besides being inside GRUB).

Also, when compiling GRUB from outside Coreboot, you can write down additional modules (like luks) on the list (see the 2nd block of code in the link).

-------

About onboard graphics: I did try Coreboot with GRUB built with Coreboot's build system. But I couldn't add /load some modules, plus without SeaBIOS, I had the display problem, and also no way to launch a liveCD.

For the external GPU (which I didn't install yet since I have to switch the chip containing the rom, and it's in the way), hopefully the latest GRUB will work without the need for SeaBIOS. But I don't mind chainloading GRUB from SeaBIOS instead. I just need to make the bootorder file work.

Basically, a SeaGRUB is what I have right now, but with the bootorder file not working (also not findink my lvm disk to unlock, but that's another story). I'll try a GRUBSea right now, which would get rid of the bootorder issue, but it would have to work with the graphics.