As I've mentioned before, we at Technoethical have tested compatibility with different processors as well. Quad-core doesn't work with regular T400 (GM45).

T400 usually comes with P8400 (2.26 GHz) or P8600 (2.40 GHz) processors, while the T400s comes with better processors, SP9400 (2.40 Ghz) or SP9600 (2.53 GHz). One other important aspect is that T400s processors have double the cache vs. regular T400 processors (6M vs. 3M). Of course, this was to be expected for a laptop that was launched 1 year after the X200, T400, T500.

The T400 can match the T400s if it's upgraded with the T9400 processor (that also has 2.53 Ghz and 6M Cache), but that's not an easy job for the regular user (disassemble, clean and replace thermal paste, reassemble). Better processors are harder to get by and they can be quite expensive, with a notable exception: T9550 processor. On customer's request, we at Technoethical upgrade the processor for our T400 and T500 before shipping them out (as standalone products or as part of the installation service).

/tct