It's pretty obvious and simple why it is the case. In most languages I'm aware of, you can't easily (if at all) conditionally include libraries. You have to include the library and depend on that. So systemd offers a way to check how much of systemd is actually installed in a part of its API. Very useful. And what's the cost? Not very big. You have to download a tiny part of systemd because you're running programs that optionally depend on it.

Why does this need to be explained, anyway? We're talking technical details of how a non-specific program functions. I think these kinds of technical issues should be left to those who are doing the technical work.