Well, my previous post was a bit 'tongue-in-cheek' ;-)

I have to admit that I'm not exactly the world's most experienced programmer, but according to this Wikipedia article, 'many programming languages support conditional compilation', which I assume would allow them to conditionally include libraries, depending on what sort of system they are being compiled on/for.

I mean, package configure scripts already test automatically for a whole bunch of potential dependencies, without needing a special package to do that. Why should systemd be any different?

Tbh, if I can't check whether something is installed on my system or not just by using basic Unix tools, something doesn't seem quite right there ...