As far as I understand, Mozilla's main point is how these technologies prevent Firefox's core from easily evolving, especially performance-wise.

An exception was made for Flash but it is easier to maintain NPAPI working for Flash than for any plugin. That said, I had rather see Flash support dropped today (the same holds for EME, of course). Flash support will be dropped soon since Adobe "will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020": https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html

As for "add-on developers who will switch to other browsers", they would switch to Chrome/Chromium, which unfortunately dominates the market: http://gs.statcounter.com

In fact, I believe most add-ons for Firefox exist for Chrome. Their developers love the API change. Since it is that of Chrome, they have far less porting work. For those only developing for Firefox or Chrome, they will probably start supporting the other browser (again, it is little work) and I see little reason to stop supporting the browser they come from.

Old unmaintained add-ons will indeed break. But it looks like a reasonable price to pay for improved performance. After all, if nobody wants to maintain the add-on, it is probably not that useful.

The reasons you report to drop sound support on GNU/Linux without PulseAudio ("requires more work to support than Pulseaudio", "focus on other features in the browser"), combined with the overwhelming dominance of PulseAudio in modern GNU/Linux distributions, make a good argument, don't they?