Like onpon4 already wrote, Paypal isn't really compatible with software freedom. Plus, they seem to be blocking accounts for political reasons or "US regulations". For exmaple, I don't know if this has changed or not, but I remember reading that Paypal didn't work for Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza, while it could have been accessed by Israeli settlers living in the West Bank. Besides, by using Paypal, there's one more party that can observe your shopping habits.

Using Paypal might add some security though - as you're not giving your credit card details to multiple sites and therefore, you don't have to worry too much about their security standards. On the other hand, Paypal accounts can get hacked too.

At the end of the day however, you just depend on how the website accepts payments. I might like ideas behind GNU Taler or Bitcoin, but whenever Paypal is the only way to send payment, there isn't any choice really. For example, that's how I've donated to NoScript several times. I wish there was an alternative though, an alternative accepted by the majority of the websites.