I'm hoping that the upgrade would have removed Upstart and installed Systemd, but if not then that might be behind some of the booting confusion.

I actually didn't bother with apt-get upgrade and went straight for dist-upgrade and it seems to have removed some packages that weren't present in the Flidas repos. I think one of the ones that had issues was 'gnome-session', which sounds like it might fairly important.

So, how do I fix the issue with the gpg keys? Do I need to download a new key file from somewhere for Flidas?