So, to anyone out there reading this, I was able to fix the issue I was having with QEMU after someone helped me on the IRC channel. Calling QEMU with this seems to have worked well:

qemu-system-x86_64 -hda trisquel-master.qcow2 -cdrom trisquel_7.0_amd64.iso -boot d -m 6144 -enable-kvm -machine accel=kvm -soundhw ac97

So, now I have a nice working VM with T7 on it.

What is the best way to upgrade to T8 for this purpose? The only way I know is by this thread:
https://trisquel.info/en/forum/upgrading-trisquel-8

jxself - what do you mean by trying lots of different package combinations? like, should I be downloading a lot of different packages from the T7 repos, and then upgrading to see what breaks? would it make sense for me to download every package?

should I get another T7 VM state saved, from netinstall, to compare what works with netinstall vs what works with conventional install?

I appreciate the patience you all have with me.