Browsers themselves (even the free ones) have various issues:

https://trisquel.info/en/forum/web-browser

Browser extensions are based on JavaScript code. Perhaps there are other parts of the browser itself which is JS (I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised). JS itself is not dangerous but if you visit a website which runs JS you really don't know what your CPU is executing (unless you dig into tons of code all the time).

I think that if XHR is blocked, JS cannot steal info from your RAM and send it to another host. Additionally if cookies are blocked JS cannot store a 'state' which can be transmitted via HTTP in following site navigation. uMatrix is a great extension which helps to control all that.