> Heh, am I doing it right mate joe? :P

This works too. I don't know what benefit you may have from blocking 1st-party media, I don't block this. I use (excerpt):

* * * block
* * frame block
* * other block
* * script block
* * xhr block
* 1st-party * allow
* 1st-party frame allow

This makes it easier to unblock a particular set of resource (e.g. 3rd-party css+images) with a single click.

I also have cookies blocked in the browser itself globally, with a short whitelist only. This helps me not to do it twice - once in the browser, once in uMatrix.

I also have all the hosts files enabled with auto-update and in Settings tab: all checkboxes enabled (except "Collapse placeholder of blocked elements" and "Color-blind friendly). You can also have a more fine grained control over specific scripts for websites if you use uBlock Origin. Example scenario: unblocking JS for a domain (with uMatrix) enables all scripts, then with uBO you can control which particular JS/XHR you black/white list. Both extensions used together and set properly work great.

(now you know why more exotic browsers which don't support them are not a good alternative :P)