Arguments can be extremely useful tools for strengthening each other's
understanding. They can become unproductive when the parties involved are more
interested in avoiding concessions than advancing, but there is nothing wrong
with arguments themselves. Both you and onpon4 have been arguing, and that's
fine. She just acknowledges that that's what it is.

If what you meant is indeed that these conversations are not advancing because
others are indeed more interested in avoiding concessions, I would have to say
that while any of us can be guilty of that at times, I seen some of this coming
from your end as well. In general I think more benefit comes from assuming good
faith, and I do not wish to offend you and risk you discontinuing the valuable
information you have been providing about web browsers. However, it seems that
there is one topic in which you end of going in circles with everyone with whom
you discuss it. I think breaking down why this is happening will save time and
energy for all of us. The general format is as follows:

(1) You make a comment implying that the free software movement is
impractical/naive/hypocritical/etc.
(2) Someone explains why, although free software is imperfect, it is more
trustworthy than proprietary software.
(3) You understandbly feel misunderstood, because you had not claimed that
proprietary software was better. You clarify that while freedom 1 allows us as
a community to study some code that we use, we cannot study all of it, and that
it is impossible at this point to avoid all proprietary software.
(4) Someone notes that protecting yourself from some threats is better than
accepting them, and that your only other option is to avoid all software.
(5) You evade (4) by either
(5a) generalizing with philosophical discussion to avoid specifics
(5b) saying that mitigation is not good enough and we need some "new" system
(5c) acccusing the other person of not understanding you or being disengenuous
(6) They respond by
(6a) getting caught up in the philosophical discussions, derailing the
conversation
(6b) saying that we would use a better system if we had it but don't at this
time
(6c) getting defenseive, derailing the conversation
(7b) You urge us to help come up with a better system, as if we aren't already
thinking and wouldn't have already shared better ideas if we had them.
(8bi) In one instance this led to you creating a troll lounge thread that
seemed interesting. I haven't checked back on it since my initial response but
will get around to it. I'm not on the troll lounge mailing list so it's harder
for me to keep track of threads there than with the main list.
(8bii) In most other circumstances, you have returned to step (5), dreailing
the discussion.
(9) The discussion has been derailed.
(10) Repeat, either in the same thread or in a different thread on this forum.

I'm sure that you would frame this cycle a little differently. I don't claim to
be perfectly objective. No one is. I certainly don't want to put all them blame
on you. You must find steps (2), (4), amd (6) must be very frustrating.
However, I think we can agree that some cycle resembling the above has taken
place, and that we will just keep getting frustrated unless we break out of it
or let it go for the time being. Personally, I do not think we will break out
of it unless you refute or concede (4) without going to (5) or (7b). (7b) is
asking us to refute (4) for you, and I would if I could. I hope you are right
that there is a better way. While I think if you could refute (4) right now you
would have already, I hope that eventually you or someone else can.

Until then, I would prefer to focus on the information you have been providing
about browsers, and I think this would be a better use of your time as well. In
the absence of a perfect solution for web browsing, the information you provide
about our current options is much appreciated. I'm sorry that I haven't
contributed more by replicating your tests yet. In fact, I'll accept blame for
feeding the above cycle by spending more time responding to your posts that I
disagree with without contributing anything new than I have responding to your
more constructive posts, while hypocritically telling you to focus on the
constructive ones. I've been following and valuing your tests, but have been
waiting until I have a chance to contribute my own to respond in detail.
Honestly, I probably could have learned how to run your tests in the time I've
spent writing long and redundant posts. My bad. I hope to get around to it by
next weekend.

Best,

Mason