Hmm, I don't know but I would guess the upgrade process messed things up for you. You would have much more info and maybe prevent this in the future if instead of using synaptic you used apt, the terminal in my experience really gives you more info on what's about to happen and the possible issues you may encounter.

I can say only: it's a mess.

If I were you I would backup my data and do a complete reinstall of the OS, which will take you a couple of hours. Or you can try and fix it (which may take days and weeks, good thing is you'll probably learn something in the process).

That's my 2 centavos. Hopefully you'll have better centavos from someone else here, if you are willing to wait and pray :)