Since I started using mailing lists, I've found them to be far preferable to
forums, especially in Trisquel's case. I use procmail to filter incoming mail,
and each mailing list is sent to its own mailbox. That alone is enough to make
it more convenient than a forum. I can do everything in that mailbox I could do
in the forum, but I don't have to open up a web browser, don't have to click
around to navigate, and can easily find new messages with read/unread flags.
It's true that I don't need to see every thread, but I can easily remove the
unread flags from a thread that is unimportant to me. At least I don't have to
load a page in a web browser listng all of those threads.

> OTOH, web forums are, while being convenient for casual skimming,

Yes, the advantage of a forum is that is is easily accessible without having to
subscribe, which is great for Trisquel users who can find answers to their
questions by searching through past threads and avoid making an account to ask
a new question. That's why I like that Trisquel mirror's the forum and mailing
list.

> I wish trisquel.info had an nntp server (e.g. news.trisquel.info)
> so that we could use newsreaders to read/participate in the forums.
>
> NNTP is the way to go.

I was not familiar with NNTP until I read your post, but after looking into it
does seem like a good idea. I understand that there are plans to improve the
Trisquel forum/mailing list, but I would imagine that wrapping up Trisquel 8 is
more of a priority at the moment.