> But can NNTP resolve the issue with mail lists sending all the threads (including those one doesn't participate in)?

I am not aware of whether subscription resolution can be set down to threads. So far I have always used it in resolution based on "groups" (e.g. trisquel-users).

As you subscribe to groups in a news client, that means you subscribe to all the threads in that group. I think there may be a workaround like this:

Killfiles usually work on blacklisting basis. I.e. all the messages pass through, except the ones that match your filter. If you can change it to white listing (may depend on the particular newsreader you use), and allow only the threads (subject lines) you are interested in, then all the messages will be filtered (killed), except the thread(s) you are interested in. While this is a hack, and all the message headers still got fetched, it is still an efficient method. Because (1) only the headers are fetched (then discarded), and (2) since pending headers are fetched in a single lump, network bandwith waste is kept to a minimum.

Still, we need to research whether NNTP itself supports finer resolution than newsgroups (individual threads).