I only open office documents when I know exactly where they've come from, and I trust the full chain of upstream sources to have reasonably secure practices. In other words, I don't open many office documents, and like Stallman, I tend to insist on being given OpenDocument formats, not Microsoft anti-formats. I don't open office documents from untrusted random internet sites at all (I'm much less suspicious of .PDF files. Is that unwise?).

So following your advice, I should not install this unmaintained package and open the .CHM file at all.