> I've finally ordered an Atheros AR5B95 WiFi card, with which I'll replace the
> Intel WiFi

I received and installed the Atheros card yesterday. After using it for a day,
I absolutely recommend doing the same if you buy an X60. It connects much
faster and maintains connections much more reliably than the USB dongle, and
costs less too. It also doesn't heat up the palm rest like the Intel card did.
If I had known how much better it would perform than the USB dongle I would
have done this long ago.

Here's[1] a good guide on replacing the WiFi card. Just make sure that you
libreboot the device *before* replacing the WiFi card, as the factory BIOS
won't boot if the WiFi card has been replaced. Also, if the ribbon cable
connected to the keyboard does not have a pull tab as described in the guide
(mine did not), you can get it out by quickly prying with a screw driver the
left-hand side of the piece connected to the motherboard.

[1] https://libreplanet.org/wiki/IBM_Thinkpad_X60