I agree with onpon4. In addition, pip does not require cryptographic package signing using tools such as GPG so you could be downloading altered packages if someone breaks into the PyPI website and replaces a package with a malicious version.

PyPI did in fact contain malicious packages in the past - the issue was reported online, e.g. here:

https://developers.slashdot.org/story/17/09/16/2030229/pythons-official-repository-included-10-malicious-typo-squatting-modules

Of course the package signing problem can also occur on code repositories such as GitLab as well if those do not impose GPG signing of commits (which I gather most do not). Of course the GNU/Linux package managers do not solve the problem if they grab code from such code repositories without verifying the cryptographic signatures of the original developers.