Well, I still have the X server up and running (LOL!). The installation process only showed me some warnings harmless but noisy but everything happened correctly.

As a first impression it seems to me that the rendering problem has been solved at the moment. I need to let more time pass to be able to confirm with full confidence that it has.

Before:

foo@bar:~$ inxi -G
Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 18.0.5

After (right now):

foo@bar:~$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.6 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@60.00hz GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 18.0.5

Best regards.