There is absolutely no reason to think those problems have anything to do with systemd.

I have had a warning about my CPU fan from my BIOs. It's intermittent, I have tons of cooling and the freezing does not occur when I would expect a heavy load. (...) A lot of freezes occur while watching videos but also compiling programs and just at random. My compute never freezes on it's own while I am away from it, it's always while I am using it.

Decoding videos and compiling are CPU-intensive tasks!

More generally, random freezes under heavy loads suggest a hardware issue. If the processor is not faulty, then it may be the RAM. Have you tested it? You can install the "memtest86+" package, which is in Trisquel's repository, and run it (from the bootloader's menu) during a night. If the screen turns red, the RAM is faulty.