I am surprised that there were so many posts to this thread, lots of
them very helpful....

I actually thought I should just fire off a quick email to the list to
provide useful feedback as to why I was leaving. If everyone did this,
it would probably help the project.

Anyhow, based on the discussion here, I think it makes a lot more sense
to look at the linux-libre kernel. I think I am going to install the
regular one and give it a try for a while, while staying with Trisquel.
I like the community a lot.

I will report back in a month or two, hopefully things will be more
stable. If they are not, I am not ready to give up on linux-libre, it
would just be nice to know if it's the source of the freezes. I could
file a bug report with them if it seems to be the source of the problem

Thanks everyone