Thank you jxself and Magic Banana.

So actually nothing can be done, if I understand correctly. I guess nobody gonna develop an open source driver for such an old card. That's a shame.

 So that's it with radeon driver.

But maybe you guys can help me somehow force the VESA driver to my native screen resolution? It is 1280x800, but VESA gives me 1024x768 max. With VESA driver I'm able to suspend and resume my computer. How should I proceed?

I have nothing against VESA, I don't need any graphics acceleration. If I could set up my monitor resolution with it, I'd be pretty much happy about it.