With Syncthing, you do not need to have every device in the same network. But you are right, when syncing many devices, Syncthing might make you miss the piece of mind of a server-client architecture.

On the Nextcloud client for Android, I agree. It is very sad, you cannot easily configure a 2-way sync directory, and they do not fix it (at least for the last years on F-Droid versions).

I have not tested it, but someone told me Seafile syncs better than Nextcloud and its Android client is ok too. I have never tried it, if you do, please let me know.

By the the way, if you really need a phone, have you ever considered to abandon Lineage and try Replicant : ?