> What the heck is going on here?

What's going on here is that software does not exist in a vacuum. It is created by groups of people, it is used by groups of people. We are political, and software is political due to that.

> WTF?? How does any RMS opinion affect the way a GNU/Linux distro works?

Profoundly... Trisquel takes a stance on which pieces of software should and should not be included in the distribution. This forum has a code of conduct asking people not to do certain things, not to use certain terms. These stances that FSF endorsed distributions take are directly as a result of RMS opinions. Just like with FSF there is a strong association. This requires very careful navigation.

I will also be leaving Trisquel at this point. This thread is playing out in a similar way to the Purism ones, with it being inferred that anyone not in the majority position on this forum hasn't read the source material etc. If the goal is to get a fully-free distribution in the hands of as many people as possible, which requires an inclusive approach to community building, then these threads will certainly damage that.

Relatively few people here contribute to the development of the distribution, website, documentation. I have been fairly involved in development of etiona for a few months, and have found the people I have worked with there to be considerate, helpful and respectful, even if I disagree with them on political issues / specific free software positions. It is a shame that the worthwhile efforts to keep pushing out Trisquel are overshadowed by a prominent public forum which is often not considerate, helpful, respectful.