>Does it really have to be in your house, or are you just exaggerating to hammer home the point about Discord?

I suppose it's part exaggeration to make a point, but on the same token, you are trusting somebody else and there's no real way to see if they hold your values to heart like the fiasco with Nord VPN or they might get their asses raided like lavabit. Also how many servers run only free software and there's a lot of "cloud" providers that claim they're powered by solar, but it's either fossil fuels or nuclear. Here's what a real solar powered website looks like. And if the website is down, that's because the battery died ;) https://solar.lowtechmagazine.com/2018/09/how-to-build-a-lowtech-website.html

As for pidgin, I can see your concerns, but the beauty of free software is it's fixable.