In yet another attempt to find and use a printer without needing proprietary software drivers (as well as being able to save paper by being able to print on both sides of it), I recently purchased the Brother HL-L 2320D printer, as I was under the impression that using the package, printer-driver-brlaser, would allow me to use this printer on Trisquel GNU/Linux 8.0.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to use the printer, even after installing the package, printer-driver-brlaser, something that is contrary to what is reportedly described in the description of that particular driver, where the Brother HL-L 2320D was found to "work" with it.

My technical expertise in solving this issue is low, and I am uncertain where to begin troubleshooting to solve this problem. When reading information in the forum, or elsewhere, I frequently encounter package names such as "Cups", "Ghostscript", "Foomatic", and I lack a systematic approach to know where to actually begin to solve this, as I don't believe that randomly installing or uninstalling the aforementioned packages, in a wild attempt to make my printer work will build my understanding, let alone solve this problem.

Any suggestions would most certainly be welcome.

The description of the Brother driver may be found at https://github.com/pdewacht/brlaser