I have zero idea about technical underpinnings, so maybe I should just remain silent, but...

Linux Lite is also Ubuntu based, so it may be easier to use some of its code than non Ubuntu based distros.
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/software.html#instsoftware

It seems to have two interesting "helpers".

Lite Software offers a seemingly curated, de-mystified list of "popular" apps and other installs.
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/software.html#installsoftware

Similarly, Lite Tweaks is a list of available system tweaks.
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/software.html#tweaks

Obviously, neither app is inherently protective of users' freedom, but that could simply be a matter of what a given distro's developers and repos choose. Both apps are also very basic, with no screenshots or reviews, and likely a very limited selection given the apparent assumption of a list that can fit in a single window. Still, FWIW.

And what about ElementaryOS? It's also Ubuntu based, and while the Pantheon desktop environment is tightly integrated across the OS, it's at least based on GNOME just as MATE is. And its App Center (selection visible at https://appcenter.elementary.io/) combines Apple like slickness with a "pay what you want" style that doesn't necessarily undermine an ethic of sharing but does easily enable direct user support for developers and projects. Once and if ported, this may reduce the workload and debates associated with a tightly restricted and curated list of apps such as in Lite Software.