> I guess I'm giving up on being able to fix this Mullvad issue. I did
> what you said and brought the config file over, but due to the older
> kernel OpenVPN won't work on Trisquel without updating the kernel.

I didn't realize this.  I thought it was just the Mullvad client.

> I'm not that "techy" to preform that action.

Trisquel has a 4.15 kernel in the repositories.  You can install it with

$ sudo apt install linux-generic-hwe-8.0

You can also install an even newer kernel from jxself's repository.[1]

> Do you suggest a trustworthy VPN provider that will work with Trisquel
> right out of the box ?

You could try RiseupVPN.[2]  Their service is donation-based (although
if you use it you should donate to help keep it sustainable), so like
when you pay Mullvad with cash, your traffic isn't linked to any payment
records.

[1] https://jxself.org/linux-libre/

[2] https://riseup.net/en/vpn