> I use the stock Liferea software for my RSSĀ feeds. When I launch it through
> the GUI, it never starts the first time. When I try a second time, it does
> start but the feeds are not automatically refreshed (the option is checked
> in the settings).

Launching Liferea once starts it running in the background (checking for
updates, providing notifications, etc.)  If Liferea is already running,
then launching it opens up a Liferea window.  If you add Liferea to
"Startup Applications" then it start running in the background on its
own, and you will only need to launch it once to open a window.