Book News:
TROM: A Better Bridge1?
by
Frank Gordon,
USA
At the end
of Dianetics: MSMH,
Hubbard implores
us: "For God's sake, get busy and build a better
bridge!" To me, such a bridge would include a
more direct connection between the philosophical
principles of Hubbard's Scientology and their
application. Dennis Stephens in
TROM: The
Resolution o f Mind: A Games Manual
has
achieved this more direct connection.
Background
Stephens' major process is centered around
knowing. On page 10 of
TR O M
he lists the
many combinations of postulate pairs involving
know: must know, must be known, mustn't
know, and must not be known, as either games
or overwhelms. This focuses directly on what
Scientology is all about, knowing about knowing,
or science of knowledge,
{Tech Diet
1979, p.370
and
Scn 8-80,
p.8).
Dennis also focuses just as directly on games,
another key basic.
Hubbard on games
In
Scn: A New Slant on Life,
Ron discusses "The
Reason Why," and the answer is to have a game.
Thus: "Life is a game. A game consists of freedom,
barriers and purposes." p.38.
The only clear-cut process Hubbard gave for
games appears in
Dianetics 55
on p.158 as a
One-Shot clear process:
"Having established the fact that an auditing
session is in progress, and established some
slight communication with the preclear (note:
slyly implying that this is a weak spot with
many auditors), the auditor says, 'Invent a
game.' When the communication lag on this is
flat the auditor then uses the command,
'Mock up somebody else inventing a game.'
It is a workable process, it does function,
it is fast, but...it has the frailty of the ability
of the auditor. It has the frailty of failing
when a two-way communication is not
maintained with the preclear..."
Ron then noted in
Tech Vol II,
p.417:
"It is evidently true that no part of games is
processable and the entering into games is not
necessarily therapeutic, except this idea of
overwhelming things. This process is What
would you permit to overwhelm?' What would
you permit to be overwhelmed?""
So at this point, it appeared that games could
not be processed directly.
Dennis Stephens on games
In
TROM,
under Theory, p.7, Dennis approaches
games at the postulate level:
"Conflicting postulates are called a game.
The purpose of a game is to have fun. All
conflicting postulates are essentially a game...
Due to contagion with opposing postulates all
games tend to reduce the ability of the being
to postulate.
"...all games are essentially contests in con-
viction, and all failure is basically postulate
failure (note: an overwhelm, either as moti-
vator or overt).
"It is a rule of all games, that intentionally
lowering one's ability in order to be more
evenly matched with the opponent leads

inevitably to the state of an en-
forced loss of the game...Thus the
paradox of all games:
a. All games are played for fun,
b. To always win is no fun, and
c. To invite a loss is to eventually have a loss
enforced upon one. Thus, eventual failure is
the end result of all games."
Dennis then discusses the assignment of responsi-
bility, blame and guilt by the loser at end of a
game. This parallels the Service Facsimile as an
analytical game tactic. He also notes that treating
GPMs formerly as reactive led to many difficul-
ties, and that game postulates are analytical.
Other views of games are given in: "Can Games
be Processed Directly?"
IVy
9, p.29;
Games
People Play
by Eric Berne, and
Scripts People
Live
by Claude Steiner.

The repair of importance
There is an interesting parallel between Dennis's
Repair of Importance (RI) and Hubbard's Repair
or Remedy of Havingness, where Ron's definition
of importance in the
Tech Diet
is:
"Importance, is mass. In thinkingness when
you say importance, you mean mass."
Hubbard noted "The Importance of Havingness"
(PAB 72,
Tech Vol II,
p.371), and stated that,
"Without the repair and remedy of havingness
no real gains become apparent." He also notes
that any process will run better if interspersed
with havingness, which parallels the use of RI.
An early definition of havingness was:
"Havingness is that which permits the expe-
rience of mass and pressure." And his final
definition: "The concept of being able to reach"
might also be expressed as: "The concept of
being able to experience, or permitting oneself
to experience."
Why doesn't Dennis use "havingness" instead of
importance? Probably to emphasize the "mustness"
of anything important. The "mustness" which
makes games compulsive.
Using RI(3) to repair importance, "Create
an importance," while emphasizing the
issue of "mustness" between two termi-
nals seems workable and echoes Ron's
"Invent a game" as an all the way process in
Dianetics 55.
Examples of mock-ups used to
repair importance might be: a teacher impress-
ing a child with the importance of knowing the
capital of Denmark; or a mother berating her son
about the importance of wearing his rubbers1.
This can help to improve awareness of any com-
pulsive "mustness" elements in one's life.
Timebreaking
In "The Creation of
T R O M "
(IVy
17, p.23),
Dennis tells about how he developed
TROM,
and that he devised timebreaking by using
Hubbard's concept that mental automaticities
can be brought under control by doing them
consciously.
Thus, when working with postulates like "must
know," if a past incident pops up automatically,
it is not run as a lock or engram, but the A=A=A
is broken by differentiating the past incident
from the present; much as in the early process
of comparing and differentiating between two
objects.
Complementary postulates
Dennis has a lot of cautions, so in order not to
get in over my head, I've begun exploring his
approach with complementary postulate pairs.
He says complementary postulates reduce
game-playing compulsions and increase affinity,
but they can include overwhelm phenomena
where they have resulted from force or undue
influence. To avoid this, I can prefix these
complementary postulate pairs with "the
desire to, willing to, permitting oneself to,
feeling free to, etc."
I found using the pair "know and to be known"
relaxing, with an immediate sense of release.
This, and also the pair "desire to know and the
desire to be known" were fun. On the subject of
havingness, I used the postulate pair: "willing
to have (for self) with the object (the other)
willing to be had." Nice!

Also the pairing of "to have" and "to be
had" may be applicable to various hav-
ingness processes. E.g., "Look around the
room and find something you could (or
are willing to) have", as the Self-Determined
postulate seems to work better for me if I put in
the Pan-Determined postulate "could (or is will-
ing to) be had," on the other end of the line.
Ron's material on GPMs was so thoroughly
oppositional, that thinking about postulate
pairs like "to know and to be known" or "to have
and to be had" is refreshing.
The CDEI scale
Dennis uses "must" or "must not" which corre-
spond to "enforce" and "inhibit" in the CDEI
(curious, desire, enforce, inhibit) scale.
Since the goal of TROM is to convert compulsive
"must" games into voluntary enjoyable ones, I've
explored the possibility of expanding the usage of
the CDEI scale, using curious as "desiring to
know (or to have) paired with desiring to be
known (or to be had)," and with "desiring to
not-know or not-have" being a kind of "cultivated
indifference."
And perhaps between "enforced" and
"inhibited," one can assume a balance
point or free area, with the concepts of
"permitting oneself to, freedom to, may,
can, etc." which can be combined with "know or
have."
Dennis gives a list of junior packages which have
been found to be erasable: to create, to love, to
admire, to enhance, to help, to feel, to control, to
own, to have, to eat, to sex; with complementary
ones as: to be created, to be felt, to be sexed, etc.
Summary
In my opinion, Dennis has taken a very direct
approach to using the key elements of Scientology:
knowing how to know, living as a game, becoming
responsible and assigning importances.
He has also expanded the concept of the Sendee
Facsimile (a game tactic) with his thoughts about
blame (the assignment of wrongness) and guilt
(accepted blame), along with shame (guilt exposed)
and ridicule (the exposure of guilt). This area with
its many charges and counter-charges may provide
another entering wedge into ongoing games.